Repeat prescription ordering is available using the following methods:
- Telephone - by calling the automated telephone line on 0191 460 8472. This line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you place your order via the telephone line, you will be prompted to leave your name and date of birth.
- Online –via the NHS App
- By hand - by leaving the filled in ‘B’ side of your previous prescription in the prescription box on the reception counter.
Certain medications that the doctor has agreed can be issued ‘when required’ are not classed as repeat medication. These medications have to be specifically ordered when they are required. For example, inhalers or antihistamines for hay fever. A member of our reception staff will contact you by phone if necessary to clarify any issues.
Patients who may have difficulty using this system should contact reception in the usual way. Remember you can also contact your local pharmacist to discuss using their ordering and delivery service.
Please find details of the changes in the prescribing of over the counter medication here.
Electronic Prescribing Service
This practice is set up for the electronic prescription service.
This means that for most patients we can send your prescription to your chosen chemist directly saving you having to come down to the surgery.
To get your prescription sent to your chosen pharmacy you will have to ask reception to sign up.
For more information please click here.
If you, or someone you care for, use the same medicines regularly, you may be able to benefit from repeat dispensing. This means you won’t have to re-order your prescription from the surgery every month.
To save time and effort please contact us for more information.
Help with NHS costs
In England, around 90% of prescription items are dispensed free. This includes exemptions from charging for those on low incomes, such as:
- those on specific benefits or through the NHS Low Income Scheme
- those who are age exempt
- those with certain medical conditions
- More information is available at NHS Choices
These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.65
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £111.60
- 3-month PPC: £31.25
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
- Telephone advice and order line 0845 850 0030
- General Public - Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website.